Indigestion is a cause of serious discomfort to a baby, caused by a number of reasons:
- Having a weak or immature digestive system which finds it hard to digest food.
- Eating junk food as well as spicy food also leads to indigestion.
- Inadequate sleep
- Obesity puts pressure in the abdomen which causes acid reflux in the esophagus.
- Eating too fast
- Ingestion of medicines
- Any stomach problems or disease
Common symptoms of indigestion in babies
There are a number of symptoms of indigestion which must not be ignored but must be treated at the earliest:
- Pain in upper and middle abdomen
- Less interest in breastfeeding and eating
- Greenish colored stool
- Irritating smell in baby’s stool
- Fart and burping
Simple home remedies to treat indigestion:
- Burping: After feeding, it is recommended that you burp the baby to remove excess air from the body which may have got into the body while feeding. Spitting milk while burping is normal for newborns, this also helps a baby to be relieved of indigestion.
- Chilled milk: A glass of chilled milk can relieve acidity and indigestion. Use this method if your child is a year old or above.
- Ginger: Mix honey with ginger to cure nausea and indigestion. It’s an effective way if your child is a year old or above.
- Gripe water: It is a solution given to babies for the relief of colic, wind, and indigestion. You can buy it from the market.
- Cinnamon powder: Mix cinnamon powder and honey and give to your child if he’s above one year.
- Herbal milk: A combination of cinnamon, warm milk and honey is good for stomach pain and stomach cramps.
- Peppermint Oil: The fragrance of peppermint oil helps ease from nausea.
- Pineapples: Pineapples are a great source of fiber for the proper bowel movement. You may give your baby a slice of it every day. This will prevent indigestion and improve digestion.
- Lemon water: This is a good remedy and is a natural remedy.
- Ginger, Lemon and Honey: These three ingredients if taken together, improves the digestion and relieves acidity.
- Cloves: Clove water is good for the pancreas and for digestion. To make clove water, boil 2-3 cloves with sugar in water. Give it to your baby after cooling.