Constipation is quite common in babies, but it is also serious in nature as it can cause abdominal pain. When a baby is unable to pass clear and comfortable motions, it implies that he is suffering from constipation. At the time of passing stools, a baby feels irritated owing to gas build up, indigestion and hardness in stools. Being a parent, it’s important to understand your baby’s signs of constipation. Let us discuss the common problems that babies face with constipation, which would definitely help you to understand the cause and solution to a nagging constipation problem.
Before you get to know the remedy to constipation, we shall discuss the reason behind constipation, making it easier to prevent the condition in the first place.
Causes of Constipation in babies:
- A baby passing hard stools would feel pain in doing so and could thus avoid passing motions thereby, leading to constipation.
- Lack of enough liquids in a baby’s diet causes constipation. Therefore, keep your baby well hydrated.
- If you have introduced solids to your baby recently, then it is quite natural that he may not be able to digest it quickly. Lack of liquids and an increase in the amount of solids may be the reason for constipation.
- Formula milk, which may have been recently started by you, is generally not the reason for constipation, but you may use a substitute if it is so.
- Lack of breast milk is also a cause of constipation. Breast milk must be fed as much as possible, it also has many benefits.
Symptoms of Constipation in Babies
- Irregular stools: When your baby is not passing stools on a regular basis, then it is probable that s/he is suffering from constipation. It is also said that a baby who is only on breast milk may pass less stools as most of the food is assimilated by the body.
- Consistency of stool: Constipation is not only defined by the frequency of bowel movement but by the hard consistency of the stool.
- Blood in stools: Make sure you contact your doctor at the earliest, in case you find red marks in your baby’s stool.
- Straining: Straining too much during bowel movements is a sign that your baby is constipated. It is because of hard stool that the baby has to push and pass the waste.
- Lack of desire to eat: The baby will not show interest to eat or drink due to the discomfort in his stomach.
Remedies to cure Constipation
A baby is unable to speak and express his problems. It is up to us to understand his problem and provide an effective remedy. There are many home remedies which will help you get rid of constipation in babies:
- If your baby is breast feeding, then try adjusting the foods which lead to constipation in your baby.
- Increase the water consumption in your baby’s diet, as lack of water leads to constipation.
- If your baby is about 8-9 months old, then you may give him apple, prune or orange juice. These juices help in relieving constipation.
- Give high fiber foods to your baby such as rice cereals, oats and whole wheat grain foods and dairy foods which eases constipation and helps to cure it.
- Feeding your baby a bowl of fruits as it will help in reducing constipation. The best foods to feed your baby are apples, bananas, pears, prunes, peaches, plums, etc.
- You can give the baby some bicycle exercises which can help to release some abdominal pressure to bring down the waste from the stomach.
- Sometimes a massage on the baby’s stomach will help to make pressure for the baby to pass stool you can place your hand on the baby’s belly button and massage in clockwise direction to help your baby relax from constipation.
- A warm bath is of great help as it will provide relaxation to your baby, it is also the best time to massage the baby.
If the above remedies don’t work for you, it is advisable to consult a doctor.